Currently, we are working with large industrial partners helping them improve their existing production microbes. We are in contract and advanced discussions with a variety of Fortune 100 companies. Over time we expect to develop a large portfolio of our own products, ranging from drop-in replacements for existing chemicals to advanced materials to life-saving therapeutics – all generated from green, renewable raw materials. Growing our business requires technical development work: to establish new molecular biological techniques, to move existing protocols to robotics workstations, and to create workflows that enable high throughput microbe engineering and evaluation.
In support of this, Zymergen is hiring an experienced Research Associate to develop methods for high-throughput microbial strain engineering. The Research Associate II/III will join a world-class Development team that works in collaboration with partner companies to advance the tools and techniques applied to existing microbes used in large scale industrial fermentation. At Zymergen, the Research Associate II/III will work together with other scientists, automation engineers, and software engineers to develop protocols for high-throughput microbial strain engineering, plate models for microbe growth and production, and then enable their use in high throughput workflows.
Immediate responsibilities include:
• Building DNA assemblies using cutting edge molecular biology methods
• Using software tools for DNA analysis and design
• Transforming a variety of host microbes (bacteria, yeast, filamentous fungi)
• Culturing a variety of host microbes in 96 well format
• Applying a broad range of analytical methods including Pcr, DNA and protein electrophoresis, western blotting, spectrophotometry, and other plate based assays to qc and test strains
• Using a broad range of analytical equipment for high-throughput sample analysis
• Preparing materials including media and buffers, managing experiment schedules, processing materials, and collecting, storing and analyzing data
• Using automation tools to increase experimental throughput
• Communicating experimental results to the project team
The Development team is integral to the development of protocols that enable construction and screening of thousands of microbes per week. Members of the Development team need to be well-versed in molecular and microbiology, creative, organized, energetic, collaborative, and fully engaged in the execution of experiments. We need team members that are passionate about microbial engineering and excited to develop new methods and protocols.
We favor candidates with substantial experience designing and executing experiments in lab: MS with 2+ years of working experience, or a BS with 4+ years working experience. We are interested in candidates with technical training in biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, chemistry or engineering. Lastly, we look for candidates that have displayed excellence and high achievement in previous technical and non-technical work. Experience working with microbes as host organisms is a must have. We prefer RAs with experience in some or all of the following areas:
Protocols and Equipment:
• Familiarity with techniques in molecular biology, including PCR, DNA assembly, dna sequencing sample prep, microbe transformation (bacteria, yeast, filamentous fungi); with cell physiology in microtiter plate models and in bench-scale fermentation; and with assay such as HPLC, GC, plate-based enzymatic assays, or other optical measurements
• Experience using lab automation (Beckman, Tecan, etc.) to enable complicated or high-throughput protocols
• Proficiency in the use of analytical equipment such as plate readers, automated DNA electrophoresis systems, or flow cytometry
Operations and Data Analysis:
• Experience writing, optimizing, and following complicated SOPs
• Capability to manage multiple ongoing multi-day workflows, including preparing reagents and materials, and managing implementation
• Familiarity with concepts in statistics, tools to analyze data such as excel, jmp, or Spotfire
Founded in 2013 and based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a technology company unlocking the power of biology. We deliver better economics for products made from biology that are used across industries, bring new products to market faster, and develop novel products. Our proprietary platform uses robots and machine learning to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes, and the products they produce, have broad applications across industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, and healthcare. For more information visit www.zymergen.com.