Founded in 2013 and based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a technology company unlocking the power of biology. We deliver better economics for products made from biology that are used across industries, bring new products to market faster, and develop novel products. Our proprietary platform uses robots and machine learning to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes, and the products they produce, have broad applications across industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, and healthcare. For more information visit www.zymergen.com.
Zymergen is hiring for the position Operations Associate with the department of genome engineering. Operations associates will run a diversity of automated workflows in support of high-throughput engineering of microbes following standardized operating procedures (SOPs).
• Preparing reagents and materials to support daily operations
• Entering and processing data using custom LIMS
• Working with diverse integrated automation platforms to perform high-throughput DNA assemblies and transform a variety of host microbes.
• Adapting to complex multi-day experimental schedules and evolving standardized operating procedures
• Presenting results or project progress at team meeting
• Recognizing opportunities to improve workflows and communicating appropriately to manager and/or adjacent teams
• Mentoring and training other team member once fully trained.
The Operations team within the company is integral to the construction and screening of thousands of microbes per week. We need members of the Operations team to be thoughtful, meticulous, well-organized, energetic, collaborative, and fully engaged in the execution of the workflows.
We favor candidates with a Bachelors/Masters degree in biology, chemistry, engineering, or other quantitative disciplines with great than three years of relevant experience working in a core facility within research or manufacturing environments. Will consider those with a relevant Associates degree with greater than 6 years of relevant experience.
In addition we prefer Associates with experience in some or all of the following areas.
• Familiarity with techniques in molecular biology, including PCR, restriction enzyme digests, plasmid purification, DNA sequencing sample prep, and microbe transformation (bacteria, yeast, filamentous fungi).
• Direct experience using lab automation Tecan, Agilent or Labcyte automation platforms such as Tecan(Beckman, Tecan, etc.) to enable complicated or high-throughput protocols.
• Experience working with LIMS, excel macros and other enterprise software.
• Understanding of analytical equipment such as plate readers and automated DNA electrophoresis systems.
• Experience writing, optimizing, and following complicated SOPs
• Capability to manage multiple ongoing multiday workflows, including scheduling instrumentation, preparing reagents and materials.
• Experience mentoring and training others on established protocols.
• Knowledge of manufacturing principles such as 5S and lean a significant plus.
• Familiarity with concepts in statistics, tools to analyze data such as JMP or Spotfire, and the ability to perform data management functions in Python or SQL not required, but will be given priority.
• The position may require work outside of the normal business hours (M-F 9-6) including weekends and holidays.